Home

Sunday, June 16, 2013

A Trip to the Picture Book Museum

We spent the majority of the day today in Troisdorf.  I'm not sure how you spell it.  Anyway, we went to a picture book museum there.  It was in this old building that used to be part of a fortress thingiemabob surrounded by a moat.  The moat is still there, but, unfortunately, there was no bridge that can go up and down, just a normal stone pathway across.


The picture book museum had a lot of pictures from picture books that were really cute.  Upstairs, there were a few exhibits on a few famous picture book series in Germany.  The feature exhibit was on an author who wrote and illustrated books (or maybe it's writes and illustrates–she turned ninety two days ago).  She wrote When Hitler Stole the Pink Rabbit, which is about when her family had to flee to London during World War II.  At least, I think so.  I might have misunderstood the information at the exhibit.  She also is the author of a really famous picture book series that I have never heard of before.  I guess it's a Europe thing.  I was really impressed by the pictures in her books.  They looked like they were done by colored pencil, so they required real skill, not a computer.  Here are some pictures:

This isn't from the author I was telling you about.  This is just a cute picture from a random picture book.

This is by that one author.  Her style reminds me of how my friend Isabelle draws

The top floor of the museum looked like a library.  There were tons of shelves of picture books you could read, and couches to sit on.  The coolest part was a small spiral staircase that led up to a tower with some extra special books.  The circular room had windows on all sides that looked out onto some lush green trees.  Pretty!



After that we walked around the moat.  It was really pretty, as the path was shaded by really lush trees.  Along the way were little quirky things, like a spiral thing you turned and it became an optical illusion, a mini-maze and a swing made out of a rock.  A real one.




Then we walked down the pedestrians-only shopping street.  I took a picture of a house covered in vines for you because I think they're so cool!  I've seen a few houses completely covered, and multiple have vines on the house somewhere, but I haven't gotten a good opportunity to take a picture until now.






We stopped for an absolutely delicously amazing meal at a Turkish place.  Döner, which is a type of meat, french fries, and salad.  All with tzatziki on top.  Please help me spell tzatziki, because I have no idea.




Döner is pretty much the best thing that has ever happened to the world of food

After a day full of museum-going, pretty walks, and delicious food, we went home.  I then spent two hours in front of the computer, researching apartments.  My family's decided that we're going to go to the Netherlands for a couple of days when my mom and sister get here.  I'm super excited!  Unfortunately, I was supposed to start the research for a rental because my mom was a little busy.  It's given me a whole new appreciation for my mom for all the work she puts in when we go on vacations!  I did a Google search for pretty towns in the Netherlands, then put the town into Google maps to see how far it was from Amsterdam (because we want to do a day trip there), and then checked to see if there were any available apartments there on vrbo.com, which is a booking website.  It was hard and tiring, and after two hours I had a killer headache and let my grandpa take over.

The rest of the night was pretty low-key, since my headache lasted for a while.  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets came on, so I was excited to watch that.  I thought it would be good for my German, since I already know the story but can learn more vocabulary and grammar and stuff.  Watching TV from your bed is pretty awesome.  Ever since my cousins were here and my grandparents moved the small TV to my room so I could watch the finale of Germany's Next Top Model without bothering them, I have had a TV in my room.  It's definitely a luxury I could get used to! ;)

German word of the day: Museum.  Pronounced moo-ZAY-um.  Pretty much just like in English, but instead of 'myoo' it's 'moo.'  And I hope that you can figure out what the word means by yourself!

The Sunflower Project: Look how flooping big they are!





1 comment:

  1. The food looks so delicious! I can't wait to eat Doener with you!!

    ReplyDelete