Home

Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Journey Begins... Or Does It?

It's Thursday!  I woke up at 5:30, insanely nervous for the airport adventure ahead.  After twenty minutes of lying in bed and wondering why no one was coming to wake me up (yes, I was already awake, but I wasn't planning on getting up until someone came), I decided to get dressed anyway.  After emotionally bracing myself all of yesterday, I was ready to board a plane and embrace the adventures waiting for me!


*Plot Twist*

Turns out I'm not leaving today after all.  Julia's German Journey came to a screeching halt before it even started.  My first flight, from Salt Lake to Atlanta, was delayed, leaving me with only a one-hour layover in Atlanta.  In fact, it was the phone call informing us of this that woke me up.  I don't know about you, but I don't exactly want to be stuck in Atlanta, forced to spend the night in a hotel.  So, instead of risking the impossible-to-make connection in Atlanta, we're pushing back the flights to Friday.  I have a few problems with this:

1. I will have less time to get used to the time change.  Germany is eight hours ahead of us.  This is a huge time difference to overcome.  I would have had Friday, Saturday and Sunday to adjust if I had flown out today, but instead I will only have two days.  The first day of school is going to be horrible!  It's going to feel like going to school in the middle of the night, where you don't know anyone and everyone speaks a language that isn't your native one.

2. I was emotionally prepared to leave today.  I've pretty much been preparing myself to leave all week.  I've given my parents their Mother's and Father's Day presents, given my sister a good-bye present, said goodbye to all my friends, gotten teary multiple times, and worked myself up to a mix of nervousness and excitement for my trip.  Now I have to do it all over again today!

3. I have no idea what to do with my day.  Since I thought I was leaving today, everything is already done: everything is packed, all the goodbyes have been said, and all the preparations have been made.  What am I supposed to do?  I've watched TV from six to nine in the morning...  I think I should find another pastime. :S

So, yes, it stinks, but it's better than getting stuck in Atlanta, it's better than driving down to the airport only to find out this information there, and it's better than not going at all.

German word of the day: Überaschung.  Pronounced oo-bah-RASH-ung.  Meaning: surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment