Home

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Let's Talk About Food

Hi everyone!  Thanks for reading my blog! :) Over the past couple of weeks, I've been asked repeatedly what the food's like here.  So today, you will essentially follow me around as I eat.  Okay, I promise it will be more interesting than it sounds! ;)

Morning

I believe I have already shown you pictures of the brötchen we have for breakfast on the weekends.  On schooldays, I have müsli, which is cereal, along with a bowl of fruit (usually strawberries but sometimes nectarines), a cup of tea and a glass of orange juice.





While I eat breakfast, my grandma makes my food for school.  I always bring a box of apple slices and bread with various spreads.  People here eat a LOT of bread, and it's usually pretty healthy.  I always partner my lunch bread with either nutella, sausage or some stuff that I think is like cream cheese called frischkäse.



Nutella

Sausage and butter

Frischkäse

Afternoon


I eat my sandwiches and apples during the breaks between classes at school, but we have a real meal when I come home from school.  In Germany, you usually have a warm meal for lunch and something simple and/or cold for dinner.  In America, it's usually the other way around.  I kind of prefer America's way, but that's just what I'm used to.  We have lots of different things for lunch, like noodles, sausage, lots of vegetables, etc.  I've been introduced to a lot of different vegetables that I don't normally eat in the US, like...  Okay, I can't think of any off the top of my head that I know in English.  But trust me, we eat a large variety of vegetables! :) The day I took this picture, we had soup.

My grandma makes soups out of all the leftovers once in a while

 Evening

Like I said, dinner in Germany isn't always a warm meal.  On days I have volleyball, I'll have a bowl of fruit with yoghurt on top before and some awesome possum food after....

Enter garlic bread!






I love garlic bread.  Do you see that loaf up there?  I ate the entire thing.  I don't have garlic bread every night, though.  We also have soft pretzels from Aldi (remember, I showed you a picture of the dispenser?) or just bread with frischkäse and sausage.  We also eat cucumber with herb salt and chives from the garden.  Along with garlic bread, soft pretzels, and a lot of other food here, I love cucumber.  I'm really quite happy with the food here. :)

Snacks and Drinks

Usually, my snacking consists of eating half a chocolate bar while sitting in front of the computer for an hour before volleyball. :) I know, I make such healthy choices. ;) But since my mom and sister have arrived, we have more sit-down-together snack-times, where we eat a lot of fruit (we just generally eat a lot of fruit here) and a cake of some sort.  Today it was nectarines and cheesecake.  Since I don't really like cheesecake, I ended up eating the entire bowl of nectarines while the others ate the cheesecake... :)

Yeah, I ate all of that.  Don't judge me ;)


When it comes to drinks, I could go the whole day drinking nothing but Apfel Schorle.  It's pretty much bubbly apple juice.  I actually don't like apple juice, but for some reason I LOVE Apfel Schorle.  Unfortunately, it isn't the healthiest thing in the world, and since my mom's arrived she's been making me replace Apfel Schorle with water.  I really don't like the water here. :/ Darn you, Mom! ;)

A lot of people here drink mineral water.  I'm not sure how many people drink it in America, but at school here, almost everyone has a bottle of mineral water.  I don't really like bubbly water either (I do like some water, trust me!) ;) but it's okay.

Note that the bottle is almost emtpy.. ;)


So yeah!  I think that's it!  I hope you learned something about food in Germany! :)

German word of the day: Essen.  Pronounced ESS-en.  I know, the pronunciation is tricky. ;) It means 'food' but it can also mean 'eating.'

The Sunflower Project: I'm going to post another entry right after this one, and I don't think you need to see the same pictures twice. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh!! whenever I go to Switzerland I drink Apfel Schorle. Wow :0 it's delicious

    ReplyDelete