Home

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Blood, Sweat and Tears

Today was the Sportfest!  I believe I have told you enough about it in past posts, so I will cut to the chase and tell you how it was. :)

The Sportfest took place at the school and also took just as long as a normal school day, so Lisa and I biked to school like it was any old day.  We spent about five minutes in the classroom, signing the t-shirts of people who didn't get theirs yesterday and discussing the schedule and roles of everyone.  Then it was straight to the back field for six hours outside!

The girls and boys play soccer separately, 7 on 7.  Each class plays every other class in the grade.  There are six classes in eighth grade.  The boys were really fun to watch because they are all really good and know formations and tactics.  I can't remember how many games we won, but I was impressed.  We even saved a penalty kick!!! :D

The girls obviously aren't as good as the guys, but they did better today in terms of winning and losing.  I don't know the exact record for the girls, either.  I played about half a game after I ran, but I didn't make much of an impact.  I was defense.

I spent more than half of the Sportfest with a stomachache because I was so nervous for my running race.  Just because I had run a fourth of the track farther than the other girls in PE, I was expected to do really well in the race.

We waited forever for my class's turn to run.  Boys and girls run together, and the laps you run in 12 minutes are averaged with your class members' laps.  Four people from my class, including me, ran.  We were supposed to go with the 8d and 8f classes, but things were a little unorganized and we ended up running at the same time as a seventh grade class.  Therefore, I have no idea how well I did compared to the other girls in my grade.  I ran six laps in baking hot weather and was absolutely miserable.  My 'I hate running' attitude has not improved. ;)

One rule with the running is at the end, when they blow the whistle after ten minutes and you have to stop where you are, if you are past the halfway mark it counts as a full lap.  I actually ran six laps, and Lisa and Antonia, the other two girls who ran for my class, only ran 5 1/2, but it counted as six.  I guess it's good for my team, but I still felt a little cheated.  Tom, the boy who ran for my class, ran 7 or 8 laps :O, but the stupid judge people weren't paying attention and wrote down 6.  :/ Then I felt a lot cheated.

I felt so much better after my race.  I wasn't the superstar runner who won the race for my class, but I wasn't expecting to be.  I know my running skills better than my class does. ;) Also, the race wasn't set up in a way where you could tell which class won, anyway.

The atmosphere throughout the entire Sportfest was really cool.  My class had set up in a shady spot where we could see both soccer fields and the track around it.  Someone made pom-poms out of green and white paper, and the girls cheered on the boys (and a little vice versa) during the soccer games and while the four of us ran.  At some point a water fight broke out, and we were all wet and laughing. :)

Then came the awards ceremony.  My class was fourth out of six classes, which was a disappointment.  Oh well.

And then it was time to say goodbye.  I had been so busy stressing about my race and then being caught up in the Sportfest that I hadn't really registered that today was my last day of school.

The class teacher, who is also the English teacher, told me that it was a pleasure to have me, she hoped I'd had fun over the past two months, and that I'm always welcome.  I then had to say goodbye to all of my friends except for Lisa, who I bike home with.  I barely managed not to cry.

All of the boys and some of the girls had already left, so I didn't get to say goodbye to everyone. :(

Lisa and I biked home together, and then she said goodbye on my driveway.  Tomorrow I leave for the Netherlands for five days, and I have two days after that before I fly home, so I'm not sure if I'll still see her.  Still, it was my last day of school, and my German Journey is almost over.  Lisa and I stood in the driveway for a few minutes and just cried. :'(

I can't believe it's almost time for me to go home!  I feel so at home here in Germany.  I have friends, family, activities, school, and I have had two months to experience it all.  I'm going to miss my friends so much, and that will suck, but I'm so lucky to have become such good friends with them that I'll miss them at all!  And it's cool to have friends in multiple countries. :)

Here are some pictures and a video from the Sportfest:

Part of the 8e cheering squad :)

Philip, the goalkeeper for our boys' team

The guys playing

Le pom-pom


 I hope the video works!  We had better cheers than this, by the way

The rest of the afternoon was spent on the internet, reading (I finally finished my German book!), and packing for the Netherlands trip, as I was emotionally drained.

German word of the day: Sportfest.  Pronounced SCHPAW(R)T-fest.  I don't need to explain what it means. :)

The Sunflower Project:




1 comment: